Well folks, I am officially starting my “Operation Cancun” tomorrow. It’s gonna look a WHOLE lot like a Whole90 with a few little tweaks. First off, I’m going in on this bad boy with a friend from the gym. She’s a GIANT motivation to me, and when she mentioned that she has not been able to finish a Whole30, I was immediately like, well that’s because you haven’t tackled it with ME as back up! For real, they aren’t always easy, they aren’t always fun, but you learn a ton about yourself, your relationship with food, and your digestive quirks. As weird as it sounds, it’s really enlightening.
Anyway, my Operation Cancun will look like this:
- I will be doing a strict Whole30 starting tomorrow.
- Days 31-88 (I fly out on day 89) will be completely clean on food, alcohol is another story. I know already that there are a couple occasions that I will want to have a drink…..and I’m OK with that, it’s literally like 3 different events.
- On the rare occasion that I do indulge in a drink, it will be in moderation, and it will only be wine or straight Patron with some lime….no mixed up, sugared up crap.
- I realize that it’s not a “Whole90” if I’m drinking. Don’t be a hater. Deal with it. My goals with this time around are not the same as they were when I initially did a Whole30.
So what are these goals I speak of? Well, honestly…..I bought a bikini. Like a legit bikini. That hasn’t happened since I was about 6 years old. I’m kind of freaking out about the purchase and completely regretting it…..negative self-talk has a way of creeping in. So this time around, I’m doing this to get myself looking as awesome as possible in that bikini come beach time. I realize how vain that is, and I’ve accepted it. In preparation for Operation Cancun, I’ve taken “before” pics in the suit……don’t worry, they won’t be hitting the internet ANY time soon! SOOO not ready for that! However, there is a good chance they will be hanging in my bathroom so that they stare me in the face every morning. I’m still debating whether I want to weigh myself or not tomorrow morning…..I honestly haven’t stepped on a scale in a couple of months, and I’m cool with that. The data nerd in me wants a number to go off of though….we’ll see what tomorrow morning brings.
Before I jump into my recipe, the biggest tip I can give anyone wanting to do any variation of the Whole30 or to anyone getting into the Paleo life is to MEAL PLAN. Seriously, there are a ton of great sites out there that can help with this. Just do it! It saves hugely on the decision making in the middle of a stressed out week, it saves money at the grocery store if you aren’t buying a ton of random crap you don’t need, and it really REALLY allows for food to be cooked and actually eaten rather than going bad and ending up in the trash. I sit on Sunday afternoons with a notebook, a pen, and my brain….sometimes a cookbook or a food magazine and this is how I do mine:
For real, it keeps me sane. No technology involved….OG handwriting and chart making!
I’m giving you my breakfast recipe for the week. I make a HUGE batch of this and then put it into containers for breakfast for the entire week. That way it is done, and I have no excuses for not getting my breakfast in!
Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- 1 pound ground pork (or sausage if you can find it with no sugar and extra crap added)
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded (I used the food processor)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 bell peppers, I used 1 red and 1 green
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, for cooking
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicy)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep, large skillet, brown your ground pork. While it is cooking, season it with a small amount of each of your spices. I also tossed in a small amount of ground sage. Make sure you break the pork up while it is browning so you don’t have too big of chunks….unless that’s your thing.
- When the pork is browned, after 5-7 minutes, remove it from the pan using a slotted spoon. You want to leave most of the fat in the pan.
- Toss in your peppers, onions, and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes or until they soften and become translucent.
- Add in your coconut oil. When it is melted, top your veggies with your shredded sweet potatoes.
- Toss the shreds in the oil, then flatten them down into an even layer, covering the entire pan.
- Leave them ALONE! You only want to stir them every 3-4 minutes. Re-flattening them out into an even layer after each stir. You will cook your potatoes for 10-12 minutes.**
- When your potatoes have cooked through, become bright orange, and may even begin to crisp up and brown a bit, add back in your pork and the remainder of your spices.
- Stir thoroughly to combine everything and flatten into an even layer again. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to let flavors blend together.
- Plate up and serve! I top mine with some fresh avocado and some hot sauce….it rocks!
**Time on this may vary depending on how deep your potatoes are layered in your skillet, how fine they were shredded, how soft you like your potatoes, etc. Just play with it and taste as you go!
Well, here’s to the journey I’m embarking on! I’m somewhat scared about what I will be like when the reality of no “paleo treats” sets in…..God save us all! Peace, love, and Paleo!