Well friends, I sincerely apologize for abandoning this site for the past week. Although, in my defense, I kind of called it ahead of time….”slow” weeks on the calendar ALWAYS end up crazy for me! I told you so!!
Anyways, this past week was great. Got a lot of work done, continued to help at the gym, officially began my CrossFit Open pursuit, and bought some really fun new stuff yesterday! I’m completely loving the new gym space, and I keep telling people about it every chance I get. For REALZ, the new and improved CrossFit Artis is going to be insane when all is said and done! I mean, it’s already pretty freaking awesome….but it’s only gonna keep getting better! Jon and Jen have built an excellent community that I’m proud to say I’m a part of!
Speaking of community, I’m truly grateful to have been a part of the 13.1 Open workout yesterday. It was so great to see so many of my friends getting AFTER it and giving it their all. I loved cheering for and counting reps for them. The entire building was just oozing determination. My performance was, eh, well it just was. I was kind of upset with my personal performance at first, but when I really took a step back and looked at it, I’m OK with it. Considering I only started this entire CrossFit journey about 8 months ago, and prior to that I had never touched any sort of weight lifting equipment in my entire life…..where I’m at is pretty good for me. That being said, I’m not getting complacent. I’m obstinate enough to not be happy with myself, and continue to push to improve. If ANYTHING, that is what has pushed me to this new place in my life….never settling. So, I’ll be DAMNED if I can’t snatch 75 pounds by the Open next year. I’ve done it before, but all things considered, it wasn’t happening on Saturday. Whatevs. I’m cool.
This week is going to be full of cooking and baking! That means lots of recipes for you guys! Yay. That being said, I’m gonna be honest and say that I may not be able to post again until Wednesday. We are sending my last childhood pet to kitty heaven tomorrow night, so needless to say I’ll be a mess. I’ll be doing good to not just stuff my face with chips and tequila. Pets make me so emotional, but I suppose that’s a good thing, and proves that I’m really NOT harboring a cold, dead, heart of ice. Tuesday night, I’ll be baking a ton for a baby shower at school. Depending on how things go that evening, I might have something fantastic for you, but no promises until Wednesday! I promise I won’t neglect this for another whole week like I did last week. That was a real jerk move on my part. Sorry friends.
So, food time! I made the bacon wrapped brussels sprouts because I got a shout out about making them on my Facebook from my friend Brooke. Not gonna lie, these were AMAZING! Nothing is better than a veggie roasted in bacon fat, NOTHING!!
Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound bacon (I get the good stuff….none of that crap with nitrates and such)
- 25-30 small brussels sprouts (trim of the stems and remove a few of the outer leaves)
- 25-30 toothpicks
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut your bacon strips in half in order to double the amount of bacon. If you have 12 strips, then you will get 24 pieces, therefore you are able to wrap 24 brussels. Make sense? I hope so.
- Wrap each brussel in a half strip of bacon and secure the bacon into the brussel with a toothpick. Some are more fickle than others and will need a couple of toothpicks. Don’t be ashamed to jam like 3 or 4 in there….no judgment!
- Arrange on your baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes. You will want to bake them until the bacon is cooked fully. This is why you want smaller brussels, if they get too big, they won’t cook through in the amount of time it takes the bacon to cook.
- Remove the toothpicks and enjoy! I ate mine with a giant hunk of sirloin. Nothing like meat with a side of meat!
These are super easy to make and are SUPER delicious! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did! Sending bacon love!