Ok, so I know I’ve been complaining a bit about being OVER winter, well apparently, nature decided to bitch slap us one last time this past Sunday. It got all sorts of crazy with snow and wind and even some ice! It seemed like it came out of nowhere! I mean, maybe the news people were talking about it, but I’ve been making it a habit to NOT watch the regular news. It bums me out, big time! I usually just watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report during that time slot instead. Much much more entertaining! Anyways, the crazy weather granted us one last snow day. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed not working on Monday, but I feel like it has done nothing but put me a day behind with everything. As we speak, I’m staring at a pile of student work folders that needs to be graded, and I can’t quite find time in the day to get all of it done! I’m completely kicking myself for letting things pile up…..UGH! WHEN WILL I LEARN!??!? Meh, only two more days of teaching then spring break!! I am going no where, I’m doing nothing, and I couldn’t be more excited!
Needless to say, I’m really really itching for actual spring to show up. I’ve been already getting the craving for grilled food, I’ve been naturally not feeling the heavy comfort “winter” type foods as much, and I’m LOVING the fact that it is still really light out when I leave the gym in the evening! Best feeling EVER!! The only thing that sucks about it is that I can’t seem to fall asleep at a reasonable hour, so I’ve been hitting the Natural Calm pretty hardcore. Oh well, I suppose it’s something I should take regularly anyway….it IS helping me get much more restful sleep. Which I guess would be a great thing to have ALL the time! Yes, I shall continue with this routine. It’s better for everyone involved.
In the spirit of spring coming, I decided to make this AMAZING chicken stew with lots and LOTS of green herbs, peppers, and veg in it. Hence the name “Green Chicken Stew”. No, the chicken is not green….that would be extremely bad and makes my guts hurt just thinking about it! GROSS! This stew is hearty, yet pretty light. It’s very citrus-y and bright tasting, and I can’t get over how freaking awesome it turned out! Naturally I garnished it with green things as well…..duh, I want spring folks, and I’m doing anything I can to con myself into it coming (including refusing to wear a real coat anymore…..seriously, I’m done). Here it is! Enjoy!!
Green Chicken Stew
- 1 pound chicken, diced (used thigh meat, but you could cut up any chicken you dig)
- 10-12 tomatillos, husks removed and quartered
- 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 4 Anaheim peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced very fine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 quart stock (I used veggie stock, because that’s what I had, chicken stock would rock too)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 limes (more if you want to top it with lime)
- Fresh cilantro and avocado (for garnish)
- In a soup pot/dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. When oil is melted add your tomatillos. Saute until they are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove tomatillos from the pot and put them in either a food processor or blender…..don’t blend yet or they will shoot everywhere! Wait till they cool a bit, trust me.
- In your pot, add a bit more oil (if needed) and toss in your peppers, onion, and garlic. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until your onions become a bit translucent. Remove them from your pot and put in a bowl.
- Add your chicken to the pot and brown a bit on all sides. Don’t sweat it if your chicken doesn’t cook all the way through, it’ll have plenty of time to simmer. While your chicken is browning, season it with some salt and pepper.
- When chicken is browned, add back in your peppers and onions. Blend your tomatillos until pretty much smooth and add that to your pot. Stir to combine.
- Add in your cumin and squeeze the juice of your 2 limes into the pot.
- Stir everything together and add in your stock. I would add enough to make the soup to the thickness you like. If you want more of a stew, add less liquid….if soup is more your style, add a little more.
- Let that bad boy simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Bowl it up, top it with some avocado, some fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime and ENJOY!!
I hope you enjoy smashing on this soup. I have a container in my freezer and two more in my fridge! It’s so lime-y and delicious and just screams for spring!! Sending you tons of fresh spring love!