Hey y’all! Coming to you live…….from my kitchen! Back from PaleoFX in Austin, TX and holy crap, I can’t say how much I love the Paleo/Primal community. It was incredibly amazing to spend a long weekend with such an amazing network of scientists and foodies that were all there to enjoy, learn, and spread the same message. This is definitely an event I will go to again in the future. I TOTALLY geeked out in some sessions, lived out a couple of fan girl moments, and met a lot of really, really AWESOMELY paleo peeps. Check this out!! That’s RIGHT! I met George, the Civilized Caveman and Juli B. from PaleOMG! For REAL!! I almost couldn’t make conversation…..I was a completely stupid mix of first date jitters and 14 year old girl at a Bieber concert. Major thanks to my girl, Missy, for putting her foot down and making me go say “Thanks for being so awesome!!” to these two.
And immediately following this, I had enough guts to go personally thank Sarah Fragoso for doing what she does. For those that don’t know, it was her book, Everyday Paleo, that I creeped through on my coworker’s desk. SHE is one of the major reasons I’m living a Paleo life today. She has been, is now, and will continue to be an inspiration to me. Needless to say, I’m pretty sure we both got a bit choked up when we were talking…
Austin solidified itself as a magical place in my heart. It had already been one awesome place to visit, but this weekend just confirmed it! To the point of me job searching teaching positions in the area, no joke. In addition to the Paleo goodness, I had the opportunity to reconnect with some incredibly amazing friends. Seriously, those folks and that town really really vibe with me. Sitting out on patios, drinking ridiculous cocktails, listening to live music, and discussing the world……It was a little piece of heaven! I sat in the Austin airport last night really bumming hard about coming home…..more specifically, coming back to real life. I wish I could just suspend the feeling from the weekend and make it last forever!
Anyways, enough whining about leaving the great state of Texas…..I’ll be back there soon enough! This recipe is one that I made quite a while ago, but talking to a friend made me remember it! His own words were, “I love pork, I love pineapple, I love stew! Check, check, CHECK! I’m all over it!” I mean, it is pretty amazing. So amazing in fact, I’m playing with a variation of it for tomorrow night! Here is the original!
Island Pork Stew…..in the Crockpot
- 6 carrots, cut into chunks
- 6 celery stalks, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chunked
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons tahini (or you could use sunbutter)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (NOT melted)
- 1-2 pounds pork (cutlets or boneless chops) cut into large chunks
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and grated or cut into very small pieces
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you want it spicy!)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chop and layer all veggies into the bottom of the crockpot.
- Dump pineapple and ginger in on top of your veggies.
- Layer your pork (trimmed of fat, if that’s your thing….or not!) on top to cover your veggies. You want to make a pretty even layer of pork.
- In a small bowl, mix together your tahini, coconut oil, and spices into a paste.
- Smear that delicious goodness all over the top of the pork!! Get messy with it.
- Pour your vinegar over the top of the pork.
- Set your crockpot to low for 6-8 hours.
- When all is bubbly and hot, stir with a large spoon to mix everything up and break down your pork further.
- Bowl it up and top with fresh chopped cilantro and scallions! Or hell, top it with whatever you dig. Anyway you top it, it’s gonna be freaking delicious!
*** If you are into WICKED hot stuff, toss in a habanero pepper. Keep it whole and remove it prior to serving. If you really REALLY like to live on the edge, make a couple of slits in that bad boy with a sharp knife to let more of the oils out into the crockpot while cooking. Again, don’t say I didn’t warn you, but sometimes, you just gotta get SPICY! You know I’m right.***
With that, friends, I need to go clean up my disaster of a kitchen and think about going to bed at some point. Sending much Paleo love from a very VERY full heart……Peace, Love, and Paleo.