Ok guys, I gotta be straight with you. I’m having a pretty intense reaction to all of the bombing at the Boston Marathon stuff….to the point where I’m not allowing myself to watch the news or turn on any sort of talk radio. For a good hour this afternoon, I was in complete fight or flight mode, stressing hugely over one of my best friends in the entire world who had been in Boston and had posted some pics of the marathon to Facebook about 3 hours prior to this all going down. Needless to say, until I heard he was OK, I was a wreck. Regardless, I’m in a complete state of shock. The capacity for hate and destruction that some people possess truly terrifies me. For far too long, I was the kind of person who held grudges, who had a negative outlook, and who saw the darkness in everyone and everything. The root of this was my own hatred of myself, my place in life, and my body. I have worked so incredibly hard to NOT be the person that harbors any sort of anger or hatred for anyone or anything, so the events of today have left me completely confused. Now, I’m not going to make any sort of political statement here, or take any stance….but I AM going to say that I think the root of all of this lies not a gun control issue or a terrorism issue, but a lack of respect and love. Respect and love for yourself, for each other, for your world, and your future. Call me simplistic, but that’s where I’m at. So I’m gonna keep doing what I can to put my positivity out into the world, because God knows there is more than enough hate to go around.
Anyways, other than that, things are going pretty great right now. I bought my plane ticket for Cancun today!!! Not gonna lie, I got the jitters when I hit the “book now!” button. Then immediately had buyer’s remorse…..to which I promptly smacked myself in the forehead and was like “WAKE UP! When are you gonna get to do this?!” So, I’m over that now and have moved on to being SUPER excited!! Had a great day in the gym today….added 20 pounds to my back squat, so there’s that! Plus, I’m over the initial hump of the Whole30 where all I could think about is food. Because I’ve done this before, I feel like that period was much shorter for me, and now, on Day 8, I’m not thinking/living/breathing/dreaming food! It is shifting back into a position to fuel me, not just satisfy boredom. Slowly but surely, I feel like I’m tackling that stupid sugar demon!! I’m still eating a small amount of fruit each day, but I’m OK with that. You know what else is great about fruit? You can add it to savory things and it adds just a hint of sweetness! Like it did with these….
I know it looks like a somewhat gnarly pile of meat….but I swear to you, these were some of the most AMAZING short ribs I’ve ever made! Plus, they go in the crockpot, so they are SUPER easy to prep, cook, and clean up! Win all around!
Blackberry Balsamic Short Ribs
- 3-ish pounds beef short ribs
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 10-15 large blackberries
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 10ish leaves fresh sage, torn into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a deep skillet, melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
- Sear short ribs in the coconut oil on all sides. You only need to get a thin crust on the meat, not cook it through, so about 2-3 minutes per side.
- In a bowl, mix together vinegar, tomato paste, and water.
- When ribs are seared, add them to your crockpot.
- Pour liquid mixture over your ribs.
- Add spices, torn sage, smashed garlic, and blackberries in around the meat.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. I actually cooked mine on low for about 9 hours, then switched it to warm for another 2 (while I was at the gym) and they were great! Falling off the bone beautifully!
- Stuff your face with hearty, rich, savory, meaty goodness!
The best part about this is that I was able to eat and do all of the “cooking” dishes in less than about 35 minutes….which was amazing! Not to mention, it was nice to have something already cooked when I got home from the gym and my house smells AWESOME! Sending a whole bunch of love and calming, healing thoughts to all my homies in Boston. Go love one another.
PEACE. LOVE. and Paleo.