No, not the drinking kind of bars…although I’m pretty sure a few of those will be involved this weekend, but more like the fruit and nut kind of bars! Perhaps even venture to call them “knock off” bars…..you know the ones I’m talking about! Not gonna mention them here….I don’t need to go an get myself flagged, or worse, sued! Oh the horror!!! Ain’t NOBODY got time for that! Anyway, I made these:
And they were freaking delicious!! So that’s the recipe you all will be granted this evening!
Before I get to that though, times are super exciting! First of all, I am packing my suitcase (not really yet, but I will be in a little bit) gearing up to head to Austin, TX for a long weekend of Paleo LOVE!!! Yep, I’m going to the PaleoFX conference. Go ahead and click on that link, find the speakers and schedule tabs and cream your little Paleo jeans. I’m BEYOND excited!!! I’m prepared to geek out pretty hardcore, good thing I’ve got my girl Missy with me to keep me in check and out of jail!!
In addition to the conference, Austin may be one of the greatest towns in ALL the land! I’m pumped to be going back there. One of my bestest buddies in the whole wide world lives there, and it’s been way too long since I’ve seen his face. Throw in getting to meet up with one of my totally rad cousins and her BF, and I’m like a fat kid in a cupcake shop!! Needless to say, this is the EXACT weekend I need before getting into the swing of State Testing at school.
Last bit of exciting news, I picked up these little beauties today!!!
Yep, it’s legit! I can’t wait to see people reppin’ these!! Not to mention, the women’s cut ones are completely obnoxious….I mean baby blue/teal with purple screen printing? I mean, who even suggests that?!? Oh wait…. MAJOR thanks and props to the guys at Courtyard Ink! They were totally amazing to work with and created some extremely quality work. Much love guys, and you are definitely getting any of my business in the future!!
Anyways, enough blabbering! The bars were super easy to make, did it all in the food processor! In the future, I’m planning on adding some Paleo protein powder to these bad boys to make protein bars…..oh yeah, that’s happening. Can’t freaking wait!
Salted Almond Fruit Bars….with a hint of Cocoa
- 1 pound dates, pitted and chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped (I used dry roasted ones….salted or unsalted, whatever you dig!)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Add your chopped dates to your food processor and pulse until they become a paste. They will clump into a giant ball, you will have to push it down multiple times….get used to it, you’ll have to do it on almost every single step during these!
- Add in your coconut oil, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla. Pulse until they are incorporated, again, pressing it down whenever it comes into a ball.
- Next add in your shredded coconut and your chopped almonds. Again, pulse until they are all combined, pushing it down when needed.
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper. You will want to leave a little hanging over the edges so you can lift your bars out later.
- Using your hands (it’s honestly the easiest way….so get down and dirty!) press your mixture into an even layer in your pan. You want to make sure they are pretty densely packed, mine ended up being about 1/2 inch thick.
- Toss that pan in the freezer for at least an hour, a couple if you’ve got the time.
- Lift your bars out and slice them to whatever size your heart desires. I got 12 bars out of mine.
- Wrap individually in parchment paper and store in the fridge until you want to smash!
If you want them with more of a chocolate kick, add more cocoa! Want to use a different nut, get after it! Live your life. With that, I’d better get on to actually packing! I might post some randomness from Austin over the next couple of days, but nothing legit until next week…..most likely. Please understand, k thanks! Until then, peace, love, and PALEO y’all!