As the weekend draws to a close I need to put two things out there. First, I’m sorry I haven’t posted until now…I realize it’s been a couple of days. Things have been a wee bit crazy around here and I chose to support the people in my world instead of blog, my most sincere apologies. Secondly, I have come to truly value spending time with people who build me up positively. One of my oldest dearest friends is in town, and seeing her really lifted me up today.
This week is gearing up to be a crazy one! Two fieldtrips at school means that I need to plan lunches that can be eaten on the go…..which on a Whole30, ends up looking like a bunch of random stuff thrown together. Seriously, on Tuesday, I’m pretty sure I’m taking a pouch of salmon, a few clementines, some coconut flakes, and some celery and carrots. It’s all “snack” foods, rolled together to make it count as a meal. Meh, it happens!
Speaking of my Whole 30/90ish, tomorrow marks day 15! In the world of a pure Whole30, that’s the halfway mark! I’m so proud of my girl Ava…..we are sticking with it! I’m definitely noticing bodily changes, and my incessant cravings for sugar are seeming to dwindle, so I’ll take it! I even baked a pie, a FREAKING PIE, without tasting a single bit of the batter/mix/filling. Willpower has returned to me, and boy does it feel good!
Onto food! This avocado pesto started out as just regular pesto….until I realized I had a couple of avocados lying around that were going to go bad if I didn’t use them. I figured, hell, they were green too, so what would it hurt to just toss them in? It didn’t hurt a damn thing. In fact, in increased the awesomeness of this pesto by about 10 fold! Enjoy!
- 3 oz. fresh basil (I used the big, deep container from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 oz. fresh parsley (again, used the small pack from Trader Joe’s)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil, give or take….depending on how thick you like your sauce
- In a food processor, add your fresh herbs, garlic cloves, and your salt. Pulse until herbs are chopped down into very small pieces, and the mix is well combined.
- Add in your avocados, lemon juice, and spices. Pulse to smash up the avocados and mix it all together into a green paste.
- Stream in your olive oil until you achieve the consistency that you like. I used right at 1/2 cup of olive oil, but you do whatever brings you joy!
- Taste to make sure it is seasoned well. Don’t fear, the garlic will be pretty sharp at first….it will mellow a bit with time. But I like the garlicky kick! Roll with it!
- Use it to top spaghetti squash, or chicken, or pan seared pork chops AND spaghetti squash…..like I did!
- Store the leftovers in the fridge……and feel free to serve it warm or at room temp. It’s delish either way!
This is going to become a staple in my kitchen. I can’t wait to toss some grilled veggies in it once the weather turns around for good!! Peace, Love, and Paleo!