I’m officially on the downhill slide of my first 30 days of my almost 90 day Cancun challenge! Honestly, I feel like I’m somewhat over the sugar urges. I haven’t wanted to smash on sweet stuff in almost a week…..despite having a plate of homemade cupcakes on my kitchen counter! Now THAT, my friends is willpower! I just keep looking at them and thinking…..you know you don’t want that, and it won’t even be that satisfying, AND you’ll feel like crap afterwards. By the time I rationalize all of that, I’m usually good!
Now salt? That is where my bizarre food cravings are kicking into high gear. Maybe it’s the fact that my allergies are kicking up because it’s FINALLY maybe starting to really act like spring here!! But for some reason, I can’t seem to get enough salt! Everything I make is tasting bland, and I’ve NEVER been someone who reaches for the salt shaker…..weird. I’m sure I have some sort of imbalance going on inside of me, but whatever, I’m just gonna ride it out for now!
Speaking of the weather finally turning around here…..it was ACTUALLY sunny today! And somewhat warm! And as we speak, I’m watching a full-ish moon rising in a CLEAR sky. Simple pleasures, folks. I swear, the fact that it was sunny today improved my mood hugely. By the end of the week, it’s supposed to be almost 70 degrees! That’s damn near flip flop weather…..which means I need to get it together and go get a pedicure. Ain’t NOBODY got time for unpolished toes. For real.
Alright, food for tonight. My mom used to make these chicken roll ups with prosciutto, sage, and then some sort of cheese. Then she’d make a wine and mushroom gravy for them……needless to say, they were off the chain! So I was feeling a hankering for these bad boys. I just left out the cheese (duh….) and skipped out on a sauce, mostly due to time constraints. These turned out great!
Prosciutto and Sage Chicken Roll Ups
- 4 large chicken breasts, pounded out to about 1/2 inch thick
- 3 oz. prosciutto
- 1 oz. package of fresh sage……or about 30ish sage leaves (you could use ground sage here, but fresh is much better! If using dry, use between 1/4 and 1/2 teaspoon per roll, depending on how “sage-y” you like it)
- garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, celery salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay out you pounded out chicken breasts and lightly sprinkle the top side with each of the spices….NOT the sage though, save that for later!
- Layer 2 slices of prosciutto on each piece of chicken.
- Next, evenly arrange your sage leaves (or dried sage) over your prosciutto.
- Roll your chicken breasts up with all of the goodies inside and secure with 3-4 toothpicks. You want to make sure that you roll them tightly and tuck any exposed goodies in on the ends. Get good and messy with this!
- Lightly sprinkle the outside with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- In a deep skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Lightly brown the chicken rolls in the coconut oil on all sides. You will want to give them about 2-3 minutes per side. This might get kind of funky with toothpicks sticking out every which way….just do your best to get as much browning on there as possible!
- Once you have browned as much of the outsides as you can, place chicken rolls on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes. This will depend on how thick your chicken rolls are and how long they actually cooked in your skillet. Use a meat thermometer to check (or do like I did and at 15 minutes, pull one out and cut it in half…..if it’s still pink, keep cooking!)
- Remove them from the oven, remove the toothpicks and devour!
I served mine sliced over some sauteed and steamed kale with sundried tomatoes. It was insanely delicious and took me right back to my Mama’s old favorite! Seriously, the browned chicken breast, the salty slightly bacon-y flavor from the prosciutto, the earthy sage….MMM!!! So good! Hope you enjoy them! They are a total “WOW!” meal as well because they look really pretty….so get after it! Peace, Love, and Paleo!