Holy CRAP! So it’s been over a week since I’ve been on here…..my apologies. For real, I feel like kind of a dick about it. My life went from super calm and peaceful with seemingly TONS of down time to COMPLETELY FREAKING INSANE in the course of a couple of days. I’ve just been all over the place, putting out fires left and right, and pretty much going into survival mode.
Couple of things to keep y’all updated and give you a taste of what I’m dealing with:
- Mexico is a NO go. Which totally sucks. Ultimately it was a money thing. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I LOVE what I do, but while public education pays the bills, it doesn’t always allow for extra expenses…..like a trip to Mexico when the cost of an all-inclusive resort was grossly out of your price range.
- Subsequently, due to lack of Mexico trip and lack of funds…..the “Cancun Challenge” is also no longer going. I am still committed to rocking the paleo way, but I’m allowing myself a drink or two at special occasions as well as a bit of natural sugar every once in a while. That being said, MINIMAL cheats, again only for special occasions, and still never any gluten.
- The end of the school year is rapidly approaching. As I sit here typing this, I have 14 days with students left. In that 14 days, we have 2 fieldtrips, final exams, 6 parent meetings, final reports to write on 10 of my students, OH! and I have to find time in there to clean and pack up my classroom.
- Toss a couple of roadtrips to Minneapolis in there and I’m quickly becoming an over-scheduled crazy person.
Speaking of roadtrips, I escaped to Minneapolis this past weekend and it was glorious. I hung out with some of my nearest and dearest guy friends, and had an amazing weekend full of epic deep conversation, excellent food, Cinco de Mayo celebrations, wearing sweatpants, and consuming mass amounts of hard cider and playing on playground equipment. It was maybe one of the greatest weekends in a very long time! Here are just a couple of pics from the weekend…..both food related of course.
Those Strongbows were purchased purely because they were the only cider available in a tallboy can….and that pic on the right is the EPIC Cinco feast we made. It’s all topped off by some freaking delicious bacon avocado pico deliciousness that the boys and I just made up on the spot. Out. Of. Control. Did I mention I love those boys? Because I do…..mostly because we got to cook together, drink together, and they indulge silly ideas like bacon avocado pico, microwaving avocados, and swinging on swings with a drink in your hand. That’s friendship. We also made sure to music bomb the bar we hung out in with plenty of Rick Astley, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Miley Cyrus. Yeah, we’re those guys.
Enough rambling….on to food! I am going to apologize in advance for this picture, because it looks really gross. I promise, it’s so ridiculously good though. I just suck at taking pics. Not to mention this is SUPER easy. I prepped it at night and let it cook overnight so it was ready in the morning. Boom. Instant lunches ready to go!
Crockpot Chicken Picatta
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into large chunks
- Juice of 3-4 lemons
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons ghee (or grassfed butter if that’s your thing!)
- 1 medium onion, cut into large pieces
- 3-4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons capers, plus some of the liquid from the jar…about 1 tablespoon
- In the bottom of your crockpot, put your onions and garlic.
- Layer your raw chicken in on top next. Season it with some salt and pepper, to your tastes. (You could put your chicken in frozen, just add about 2 hours onto your cooking time).
- On top of your chicken, add your capers, lemon juice, and chunk up your ghee and make sure you evenly distribute it. It’ll help it melt more evenly.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours. If you are going to go longer than 6 hours, I would add in some additional liquid. Probably 1/2 cup – 1 cup of chicken stock.
- Serve it up with some spaghetti squash and enjoy a buttery delicious CRAZY STUPID EASY meal!
There it is folks! I promise to try to get on here more than once a week. That’s just rude on my part, and I apologize for being a dick like that. In the mean time, cheers to good friendships, good food, and letting out your inner kid! Peace, Love, and Paleo!