This is one of the most awesomely crafted phrases I have EVER had a student write about me. LOVE this kid, and his way with words!
Not sure if you knew this, but apparently this week is all about appreciating folks like teachers and nurses. It’s been a pretty great week, albeit completely crazy. I feel like I’ve done nothing but look at my computer screen and work on paperwork and files, BUT about the time I start feeling like garbage about it, I get something like that pic above. Faith restored. Honestly, middle schoolers are the freaking greatest. Hands down. They warm my heart.
You know what DOESN’T warm my heart? The sound of my bank account screaming for mercy…..which it is doing a LOT of lately. No joke. Thank the good Lord I’m going out of town with my parents this weekend, or I’m not sure how I would eat. Mostly likely I’d live off of homemade almond butter and canned tomatoes, because that’s all that is in my house. Oh! And almond flour…..lots and LOTS of almond flour. So if all else fails, I’m gonna be living on trash. Great. Naturally, what do I do when I have no money? Buy concert tickets, DUH!!! No but seriously, I put a pair on tickets on my credit card tonight. I didn’t even blink an eye. It needed to happen. I mean, it’s to see She & Him. They are pretty much amazing, and it’s at an outdoor venue….double win. And the ultimate grand prize? Tilly & the Wall is opening. They may be my favorite band. EVER. EVAAAAAAAAAR! So see? I really had no choice. Eh, that’s what credit cards are for, right?
I’m going out of town again tomorrow afternoon. Driving up to Minneapolis again, but this time with the family. We are all heading up for my cousin’s graduation. It’s gonna be a blast. I just love that city so much…..swoon! The kicker is that since Mother’s Day is on Sunday, I need to figure out how to make a 6 hour car ride home AMAZING for my mom. Pretty sure it’s going to include a lot of leaving her alone……or singing to ridiculous musicals in the car, and giving handmade cards (because that’s all I can afford….). Hell, I might even get crazy and write some EPIC Mom haiku’s for recitation on the car ride! I’m getting excited just thinking about it.
Speaking of Moms, mine is pretty awesome. She was at the grocery store and noticed that they had grassfed beef….so she bought me some. How sweet is that? I mean, I think that’s pretty freaking adorable. So this pepper steak is completely owed to her because she purchased the meat. Love ya Ma!
Pepper Steak Stir Fry
- 2 medium red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, sliced
- 1 medium to large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound-ish beef, I used strip steak, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- In a deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil. When skillet is hot, add beef strips and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Stir fry until the beef is browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove beef from the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan drippings. When melted, add in your peppers and onions. Stir fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook until all veggies are beginning to soften and brown a bit on the edges.
- While veggies are cooking, in a small bowl (or a measuring cup) combine the remaining ingredients to make your sauce. Top it off with water to create 1 cup total of liquid.
- Add back in the beef to the skillet and combine well with the veggies. Pour the sauce over the mixture and let simmer on medium until the sauce begins to thicken and coats all of the meat and veggies. Depending on how high your heat is, this could take about 10-15 minutes.
- Bowl it up and smash!!
You could also serve this over cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash. Any way you serve it, it’s gonna be delicious! I suppose I should go think about packing for my trip and getting things all ready to go for another weekend away. Wishing everyone a great weekend, and don’t forget to love on your Mom! Peace, Love, and Paleo!