I’m not even lying when I tell you that this mayo is SO beyond insane that I stood in my kitchen finding reasons to put it on things so I could lick the spoon. I mean really, who the hell stands around eating mayo!?!? Apparently I do, and it’s because this stuff is FREAKING delicious! Like completely out of control and life changing. LIFE CHANGING FOLKS!
Honestly, I wasn’t planning on blogging tonight. I was going to cook a simple dinner, take it easy, and just call it a relaxing night. And then that damned mayo happened…..and I feel guilty NOT sharing it with you guys.
With that being said, there are a couple of tricks to making paleo mayo. It can be quite finnicky, but if you just find some patience it’s really pretty easy. Minimal ingredients, a little bit of time, a LOT of calm and love in your heart, and you have magical mayo at the end! Plus, it makes a good amount! I can’t wait to use this to make crazy good salads! I’m thinking some sort of sweet potato salad….probably with bacon. OOOOOH! Or a BLT chicken salad! Yep, that’s happening. Stay tuned for that one, it’s gonna be good. I can tell already! See! So much joy, from just a little jar of mayo 🙂
Garlic Dill Mayo
- 2 egg yolks (save the whites for breakfast!)
- 1 lemon, juiced (you want about 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice)
- 1 cup Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil, seriously, DON’T use regular Extra Virgin, it won’t come together correctly……you could play around with other oils here as well or combinations, but you are going to want it to be a majority of oil that will stay in a liquid state (AKA NOT all coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
***My directions below are using a food processor. You COULD whisk by hand or with a hand mixer, or hell, you could even use a blender, but ain’t nobody got time for that! Let the food processor do all the work!***
- In the bowl of your food processor add your egg yolks and the juice from half of your lemon. Pulse it a couple of times to combine.
- Set the processor on the lowest setting. While it is mixing, SLOWLY add in your oil. Seriously, I’m talking a few drops at a time for probably the first 1/4 cup of oil added. It WILL take time and patience!!! Just keep the processor running! When you have created a emulsion, the mixture will start to thicken and turn opaque. At this point, you can begin to add in your oil a bit more at a time. I will warn you, err on the side of adding oil VERY slowly! Once you break the emulsion by adding it too quickly, you are screwed and the mayo is trash!
- Once all of the oil has been incorporated (it took me upwards of about 7 minutes to get all of it added) you can stop the processor. You should have a thick and AWESOME looking mayo!! Yay! You did it!
- At this point, scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in the remaining lemon juice as well as the dill and the spices. Pulse it a few times to mix everything into the mayo.
- Taste!!! Adjust seasoning as needed, just be prepared to want to eat mayo straight off the spoon. Welcome to being a weirdo! Sorry to have sealed this fate for you…
- Store it in closed container in the fridge. It keeps as long as eggs normally would, but seriously, I’d be surprised if mine makes it a full week in my fridge!
The uses for this are totally endless. Like I said earlier, I’m hoping to bring you an epic mayonnaise based salad here sometime soon. That just sounds SO FREAKING good right now, not to mention, it kind of screams summer! If all else fails, just smear some of this on top of some grilled or broiled salmon and you will be a happy little camper! See!!
Peace, Love, and Paleo Mayo!