Hello friends! I’ve officially been a Texas resident for all of 13 days and I’ve gotten pretty settled. In that amount of time, I’ve burned/scalded a limited amount of food on my coil stove. I’m taking THAT as a win! I’ve also had maintenance to my apartment probably 5 times. I’m not 100% sure the kitchen took quite this much of a beating before me, so pretty much all things in the kitchen that could malfunction did. Most exciting of which was the dishwasher! A kitchen floor covered in bubbles is TONS OF FUN!!! Anywho, Rico (the head maintenance guy) is my new best friend, and he’s THE MAN!!! Got everything in excellent working order, and was hilarious to talk to while he was working. Props to Rico!
Other than causing my kitchen to self-destruct, I’ve done a whole lot of nothing. Ok, that’s not entirely true. I’ve read about 5 books and worked on several crochet projects. Oh, and drank some wine. Ok, maybe a lot of wine. I also found myself a new gym! They are a really amazing group of people, and I can’t wait to make their community my own!
All that being said, I’ve been eating pretty strictly Paleo since I moved. I’ve allowed myself a small amount of grass-fed cheese here and there, and a bit of dark chocolate, but essentially, I’m eating much MUCH cleaner than I was before I moved. I’d fallen off the wagon pretty hard, but considering the stress of my life at that time, I didn’t really beat myself up about it. Whatever. I’m back on the wagon, and really feeling the benefits already! I’m sleeping sounder, waking up with a clearer head, still dying in workouts (but I’m blaming that on the heat!), but generally just feeling more alive. I LOVE that good food can do that to you!
Late last week, I was feeling a teeny bit sad that my family was 900 miles away. I immediately started craving comfort food, so I whipped up this bad boy, and DANG! It was SO GOOD!
This is my SUPER easy beef stroganoff! I didn’t plan appropriately and didn’t make anything to serve it over, but it would be delicious over some spaghetti squash, on an open-face sweet potato, or over some white rice (if you are into that). I would also probably double the recipe if you are cooking for more than 2 people. Here it is!:
Stupid Easy Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound stew beef chunks (or steak cut into small chunks)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup coconut milk (get the canned stuff)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (any variety will do)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- In a deep skillet over medium high heat, heat 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil (olive, coconut, etc.). Add your onion and garlic and cook until translucent. You want to let them go until they are just starting to brown, about 7 minutes or so.
- Add in your stew beef and sear until the beef is browned on all sides, another 5 minutes.
- When all the yummies are browned and delicious, add in your coconut milk and spices, NOT the tapioca flour! Make sure you stir your coconut milk in well, being sure to scrape up any bits on the bottom of your pan. Reduce the heat to medium low and cover your pan. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the beef is starting to tenderize and all flavors have come together.
- At this point, uncover your pan and taste for salt and pepper.
- In a small cup, mix together your 1 tablespoon of tapioca flour with 2 tablespoons of water. Make sure you mix it until all clumps are gone.
- Pour this slurry into your beef and coconut milk mixture slowly, stirring while adding it. You should notice it thickening up almost immediately. Allow your stroganoff to cook for about 2-3 more minutes over medium heat.
- Spoon it over your carb vehicle of choice and put it in your mouth!
This smacked the comfort food craving right out of my mouth! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!!! Until next time!
Peace, Love, and Paleo y’all