Oddly enough, the two go completely hand in hand! I’m sitting here, writing to you all on the eve of my 28th birthday. I remember a time when I thought, “Damn! 28 is SO OLD!” Ha. Right. Don’t get me wrong, I still don’t know how I feel about getting closer to 30, but I feel awesome about my age. That being said, I feel like 27 is going to be a very hard year to beat. I discovered CrossFit, went fully Paleo, and began reclaiming my life as my own while I was 27. I traveled, I met TONS of amazing people, I launched a blog, and I have tried my hand at selling my Paleo baked goods. For real, 27 was pretty stellar. So, BRING IT 28! You had better be freaking awesome, because you have some major expectations to rise up to!
On to bacon. I can’t express enough how much I love bacon. Hell, I have a bacon figurine that sits on my desk at school that I refer to as my “boyfriend”. Several of my students have commented that they are bringing me bacon tomorrow as birthday gifts. That is just weird to me….and unless it is in an unopened package, will NOT be consumed by me. I ain’t dumb. I love em, but I don’t trust middle schoolers with food handling or prep of ANY kind and I don’t really want to spend my birthday in the bathroom.
Couple of exciting things are going down! The first is that I will be selling my Paleo treats at CrossFit Artis during “The Duo” event on June 29th. Check out their page for info! It’s going to be an AWESOME day! Not to mention, I’ll be there, slinging treats. What can beat that?!? Nothing. That’s what. Not a damn thing.
Secondly, I recently bought what I like to call “almost booty shorts”. This is HUGE for me. I can’t even begin to describe how huge this is….I mean, I spent the better part of my life HATING my body, especially my thighs. Let’s face it. They pretty much dominate my legs. Anywho, I’ve apparently begun to embrace them OR I’ve quit caring what people think, because after the one ridiculously hot day this past week, I put my foot down and went out and bought some shorts! No more WODing in capris. It’s too freaking hot! So yeah, if you happen to be around the gym and you catch me in spandex, deal with it. I have, and they are kind of making me feel awesome…..so if you rain on that for me, I might have to punch you square in the face! 🙂
Back to bacon. I made this bacon egg scramble tonight to eat for breakfasts for the remainder of the week, and it was SO GOOD! Plus, it was stupid easy to make. I know the picture kind of sucks, but trust me, get after it!
Bacon Breakfast Scramble
- 8 strips bacon, diced
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 bell peppers of choice (I used a little red, orange, and yellow) diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a deep skillet, cook up your bacon pieces. The time will vary based on the thickness of your bacon, heat of the pan, etc. Just be careful not to burn your bacon. That’s a most tragic event.
- When your bacon is crisp, remove it from the skillet, leaving the bacon fat behind in the pan. Place it on a paper towel to drain some of the grease off.
- Add your peppers, onions, and garlic to your skillet. Saute the veggies in the bacon fat for 5-7 minutes over medium high heat, or until they become translucent and begin to soften.
- When you veggies are cooked through, add back in your bacon. Cook together for a couple of minutes.
- Lastly, add in your scrambled eggs and your hot sauce. Scramble the eggs into the mixture, keeping it moving around your pan so it doesn’t burn.
- When your eggs have cooked through, (3-5 minutes later) taste it for salt and pepper. Season to your liking and serve!
I am planning on topping mine with some fresh avocado and smashing on breakfast like a CHAMP! This is going to be a birthday breakfast of champions! Enjoy your bacon, your thighs, and your birthday! Because I’m going to enjoy the HELL out of mine! Peace, Love, and Paleo.